Career Development and Industry Experience
The workplace in the 21st century is changing rapidly. You'll need to be adaptable, resilient, multi-skilled and prepared to switch jobs and careers as industry and technology changes. Employers want skills like entrepreneurship, creativity, digital literacy, critical thinking and presentation skills in addition to technical or practical skills, knowledge and understanding.
So what does that mean for you?
It means you need to be ready and skilled for careers and jobs that may not have even been created yet.
The Career Development and Industry Experience Program is unique to Bradfield Senior College and is one of our key differences. We've designed the program to help you find your personal strengths and skills and develop new skills to prepare you for employment and further study. All Bradfield students complete this program as part of their Year 11 HSC.
In the past five years, Bradfield students have been working on real-world projects as part of Destination NSW's Vivid Ideas festival.
In 2020, students are preparing a virtual exhibition called Future Sydney where they will work in interest areas such as design and visual arts, performance, events, communications and STEM (film-making, science and technology). Using cross-disciplinary thinking, the exhibition will challenge traditional thinking to show us a vision of Sydney that is instilled with creativity, compassion, and empathy, showcasing exceptional new ways of approaching old challenges.
How would an art student tackle a science problem? What ways might a food-tech student deal with waste issues? How does a music student imagine town planning, a dancer approach public transport, or a fashion student plan better aged-care?
In 2019, students were part of the The New Creatives: Urban Codes event for Vivid Ideas where they applied for a project role such as writer, artist, designer, performer, event manager etc. and then staged the public exhibition.
This program will help you to prepare for the commercial world and makes you work ready. Every Friday you will cover:
- Project work with dedicated studio time in your nominated interest area such as design and visual arts, performance, events, communications or STEM.
- Career goal planning
- Interpersonal skills such as conflict resolution and resilience
- Resume building and job interview experience
- Individual, group and peer mentoring
- Up to 35 hours of real industry experience
You'll start to build your portfolio and develop skills for further study and employment. You'll learn about career opportunities in creative and other fields and develop self-confidence and be prepared for the real-world.
The Connect Program:
From day 1 you'll be placed in a Connect group with a teacher mentor who will support you through your time at Bradfield.
- work with you to develop and monitor your goals and aspirations
- discuss your academic progress and strategies for success
- support your personal welfare
- help you through learning challenges
At the end of Term 1, during the project week, you'll complete a 15-20 minute Viva Voce with your Connect teacher about your progress at Bradfield.
From week 7 in Term 2, you'll be in a work placement each Friday. Find an industry that you aspire to work in and your Connect teacher and the Student Development Unit will help you contact possible employers. To better prepare you for the future, work placement is compulsory. You will gain confidence, skills, and contacts. Through the program, our students learn to build exemplary resumes which they use to help with their future careers.
What you'll get out of IEP:
When you complete all the required work, you'll be awarded the following qualifications:
- TAFE Certificate II Career Preparation
- TAFE Certificate I Information and Digital Media Technology
- 2 units HSC Work Studies
- Discover your preferred industry area
- Learn how to search for and achieve a work placement (job)
- Learn how to apply and interview for a job
- Learn to work collaboratively
- Work on a project with a deliverable outcome for a "real" client with a "real" brief
- Career options
- Work health and safety